View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 03:07 AM

Default Re: What are your thoughts and experiences with Vdrums or similar units?

I have a friend in NYC who literally has a "studio" apartment where, thanks to V-drums, he can rehearse and/or record a 4 pc. band in his studio apartment(and has/does). All with separate headphone mixes. Compared to the price of renting a rehearsal studio in Manhattan, this is a cool setup.

As far as recording, he records the V-drums using separate outputs(Ditto what Steve said about this and the added flexibility), and records the samples dry, adding effects and EQ later. He's recorded some amazing sounding stuff, in Rock, Blues, Fusion, etc. I think the samples sound great and BLEND/MIX in well with the other instruments. I think they sound great for the types of music that sounds great with acoustic drums. Heck, you can even hear drums bleeding into cymbal mics and other drums- that's how realistic they sound. They thought of everything.

I recommend getting to know the sound module inside and out to get one's money's worth- there are infinite ways to alter the sounds of the sample(shell, head, pitch, effects, etc.),as you well know.

As a drummer, I'd rather play acoustic, but after you wail for about 10-15 minutes on the V-drums, you start to get the feel for the instrument.

That's my opinion... based on my actual experience playing and recording with them...

Cheers [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

BTW- Anyone want to buy a used Yamaha DTExpress electronic kit? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]