View Single Post
Old 05-08-2001, 09:12 AM

Default Re: DAT, CD, Masterlink, what to use?

Quote:
Originally posted by salvomix:
Remember beegster.. It's all 1 & 0's till someone gets hurt. There will be no sound difference between the mediums you mentioned if you go in digital. It's just information. Barnabas is right just ask the guy who is going to master. The place where I master most takes all.
Well, that is actually why I am asking. The mastering house I want to use says that the best is to bring in my PT rig ( they don't have a PT rig or anything that will play SDII files ). Since bringing in my PT rig is not possible he said the 2nd best solution would be a 24 bit DAT ( I don't have a 24 bit DAT ). He told me third best option would be 16 bit DAT not CDr. He was strong in his opinion that DATs actually sounded better than CDrs. Yes, its all ones and zeros, but is one medium more reliable in recording and playing back all those ones and zeros. Just wondering if my mastering guy is out to lunch or if there are others out there that have had the same experience. I was able to rent a masterlink for a few days ( that is a cool machine ). So I think I am going to use that, but I still wonder if the masterlink is more reliable than a 24 bit DAT?????