View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Deliver Mix Sessions to platforms Amazon / Netflix / ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Pardon my question for newb-ness.

Would anyone share their concern with the potential violation of EULA/IP from Sound Design Libraries by having their available as isolated elements in sessions included as client deliverables?

No sarcasm here. I'm genuinely trying to assess if this is a matter of everyone wanting to do "best practices", or if there has been notable legal action from these Libraries that has people being wary? I'm seeking to understand the scope of this issue so that when it comes up with my peers and clients, I can discuss it properly.
That's not a newb question, when it comes down to technical legalese and actual legal repercussions one might have to face. Literally, a lawyer and courts have been needed in the past for dealing with such issues, and the laws and EULAs of various companies is complex!

But, for example,
If your sample library says "you aren't allowed to share the sample" but the whole, unprocessed sample is available in your session, that's a clear violation to share the session and files.

You can simply tell the client, sorry, my license to this sample (or plug-in, etc) is not transferable. I can give you traditional stems. I cannot legally give you the session.

To me,
They would have to specify up front: "We need the session at the end of project. You must provide the session, therefore all samples must be totally non copyrighted or foley recorded by you. No samples must be used which cannot be shared. Only default factory plug ins can be used. Et cetera." If the client doesn't realize this needs to be in the initial contract and clarified, it would be THEIR bad legal practices.

There is some risk of a sample in a stem being chopped and redistributed illegally, but that's generally considered an acceptable risk, or this issue would be more apparent in the practice of usual stem deliverables.

Also, these clients are guano crazy or drink too much...... Are they seriously going to purchase licenses to ALL my plug-ins, sample libraries, etc, to start working on the session later? Nope!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //