View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Mastering - suite versus individual plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
FWIW, Jack, I use the IKM T-Racks 5 Max suite when I master. Now, in full disclosure, mastering is NOT my forte and I'm not really set up for it in my studio the way it should be. However, what I have noticed since I started using the T-Racks is that I get a much cleaner and better finished sound than when I tried to do the same thing using a recipe of other plugins. Maybe its because the suite variety just works together better being designed by the same folks. Also, using the suite I use fewer plugins to get the job done, a point Janne made earlier.

But as I said, I'm not a mastering engineer, so maybe I'm not hearing things correctly, but the suite seems to work much better for me. But bear in mind, I don't do this full time for a living.
Glad that you like and master in TRacks Suite - I never would. I've tried and the sound was never as clean as I would like. Been using IK's stuff on and off through the years and while some of their plugins are ok they just don't ring my bell. Doing mid/side with IK stuff isn't all that easy - certainly not like Fabfilter Pro Q3 or in Ozone.

Don't know if you use their plugins on their own in PT but have you noticed none of their compressors have external sidechain?

As I said above glad they work out for you and am not knocking you for using them. It's just that having been exposed to some really great plugins like from Fabfilter, iZotope and Plugin Alliance I can't go back to just using TRacks. TRacks were some of the first third party plugins I purchased when I had my Windows system so I've got a long hidtory with them.

QAPLA!