View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro 13" Retina with Pro Tools 11 and Digi 003

Hey, let me bring in another thought.
As you are looking for a 13", not for a 15" model, and you are still working with a Digi003,
why not consider the last 13" non Retina-MacBook Pro Mid 2012 9.2?
Let me explain why.

1. As you are looking for a 13" model, all the new 13" Retinas come with Dual Core i5 processors, i7 Quads only with the 15" models.
The Mid 2012 non-Retina also has an i5 Dual Core 2,5GHz processor/Boost up to 3.1GHz (optional an i7 Dual Core).
So there is almost no advantage power wise.

2. The Mid 2012 non-Retina still has a FW800 port which is definitely working better and more reliably with a Digi003
than the Thunderbolt to FW-adapter.

3. It further offers you 1 Thunderbolt port and 2 USB3 ports, so you would have maximal flexibility connection wise.
FW for the 003 and classical external drives,
Thunderbolt and USB3 for any future interfaces, monitors or modern drives.

4. Itīs got an build in Apple Superdrive which is indeed very convenient and
€70.- if you buy one separately as the Retinas donīt have it anymore.

5. Itīs really easy to do replacements of drives etc. on your own.
Have heard about it that itīs sort of more complicated with the Retinas.

6. You still can get it as a brand new product directly from Apple itself or any retailer
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro
but on the other hand there are good offers now out there (I bought myself one too as a mobile
unit 1 1/2 months ago because of all the advantages I listet above and the affordable price itīs offered at the moment)

7. And the one that was crucial as for myself besides all the other things: it is definitely one of the
recommended machines by Avid for Pro Tools 11.
And I do know why now-it works flawlessly with 11 here.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pple-Computers

Finally I have to say that I myself generally prefer the latest stuff/gear, do all updates for Mac OS, Pro Tools, Logic
and which plugin ever as soon as they appear etc. Iīm not at all kinda "old fashioned" in this regard.
I just realized that it made the max sense in combination with all the other gear I still have to go for that 9.2 MBP
as to me personally it was most important to get it just work at the best.

So, this is all of course just a suggestion, only some thoughts based on a definitely positive experience
as far as Iīm concerned.

Anyway, wishing you good luck and all the best,

cheers, VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.1, Apogee Quartet, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.1.2, Logic 10.0.6, Waves, MCDSP,
Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc