View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 12:29 AM

Default Re: GUI short freeze and beachball still on 2021.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
There are some people here who will tell you to reinstall your OS. It doesn't fix it. I tried.
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. You are correct that it does not seem to work for everybody. But for some, it does work. I hope I don't come across as I'm pushing this as a proven solution. I clearly said YMMV.

I don't create very large session anymore as a hobbyist, but I loaded the Avid demo session which is pretty big (to me anyways) with audio tracks, midi tracks, using virtual instruments, etc. It all plays back with plugins and automation fine on my system. No freezing or beach balls.

I'm not on an M1 (2017 MBP i7). It does seem that the M1 Macs are more prone to the freezing and beachballs, but that (Mac mini with M1 and 16 GB Ram) is exactly what JFreak (corrected reference) was meticulously testing with the clean install of the OS and Protools and he reports no freezing or beach balls so far.

I agree that it is a time consuming process. Which is why I suggest if someone had a spare SSD, it might be worth a try. If it works on their spare SSD, then proceed to do the same to their primary drive. If it doesn't solve the problem with a spare SSD, then it probably will fail on their primary drive also. In which case, reverting to 2021.3 or earlier is the viable solution until the next release hopefully works. Troubleshooting is a pain and not everyone has the time or mindset for it. Do what works for you.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 09-02-2021 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Corrected reference to JFreak