View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Default Re: drum miking ideas for >this< kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric22rr View Post
Thank you for the advice. I'm expecting that this will work much better than my previous method. The problem that it has is that there is so much bleed between mics... If I set an EQ that makes the toms sound good on one, those settings will make the snare, for instance, sound bad. Should I use gates on any of the tracks? I'm setting things up right now. Should I turn on the high-pass filter switch (I believe it works at 100Hz) on the Solaris, or would that cut out too much low end on the toms? Also, I have the Solaris between the floor and mid toms, almost an inch away from the sides of each, off-axis from the kick, like you said. My drummer needs them fairly close. Is this too close? I'm assuming it will be close-enough to need to turn on the -10dB pad.
Bleed is okay, and is inevitable with drums, but as long as you phase align everything like I said earlier then all your mics will all be working together and your drums will sound nice and full and punchy!

Should your drummer be less than consistent and you end up having to do some editing I would consider using gates then because when you start shifting things it will begin to go out of phase so a gate may help with that, De-essing will as well because most of the bleed generally comes from the cymbals since they ring out longer.

No need for the HPF, unless your walls are thin and large trucks go by your house, it won't really help with much other than that.

When it comes to the EQ issues, since there is so much bleed (again, not a bad thing if mics are in phase) its impossible to EQ for just one specific drum. Just use your ears, whatever sounds good then just go with it. If you find you lose your sweet snare sound then use a gate and side chain some white noise into it everytime the snare is hit. Also keep in mind, the snare's "crack" likes to live around the 4kHz area so try not to cut too much out of the tom there.

In terms of placement between floor and tom, again, use your ears, if the levels are too hot then use the pad, as long as your drummer doesn't hit it while playing and it sounds good with all the other mics mixed in then leave it where it is, if not, move it around slightly in that location

Good Luck!