View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Waves WLM Plus & NPR Loudness Standard

I'm not doing PRRS/NPR but do network and OTT sports media events. I use the WLM Plus plug live on platforms where I use SoundGrid Server and on content mixed prior in a DAW for bumpers, canned VOs, etc.

I use the EBU method as it uses the foreground sound as the anchor. That's consistent with what I've seen and worked with on the networks and trucks that use a deliverable loudness spec. We're going quite a bit hotter with -14dB LUFS for OTT but the application is the same as the common -24dB spec for network broadcast. The EBU setting is the same as using the current ITU spec. I use the ITU setting on the weighting which is K weighting. If you hit your window with those mode settings you should be able to pass QC at pretty much any outlet.

The output limiter in the plug can be used to keep you on target though I've moved off using it. I put an LA-2A on the master bus for any stereo mixes and level from there using the mix balance and leveling amp without engaging the limiter in the plug. The numerical settings will depend on your content, ratio of voice to music, any audience noise etc. If you start with those basic mode settings you can adjust the other parameters to more suit what you are mixing while still hitting your spec.