View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Re: S6 slowing down PT

Hi Eddie,

I just got to Protools 12.8.2 and S6 V3.7 on Tuesday, and here are my feedbacks :

-Loading sessions is not faster.
-Loading Layouts is not faster.
-Closing session is not faster.
-Changing between WS is … OKAY ! NOW WE CAN TALK !

I just have several new things to give you :

-I didn't mention it before but, as well as opening sessions, closing is very long. I observe that there's a period of time (1 or 2 minutes) where the Console remains loaded with the tracks, PT doesn't look to do anything … and suddenly the console unload the tracks/objects and the PT can start "closing session". Furthermore, PT crashes during this process once in four or three.

-The other day i tried to load a very big session to keep testing the behavior of the Console and the PT working together. I opened a big session (3 HDX cards fully loaded) and CPU around 60% (Buffer size set at 1024 samples).
Recalling Layouts was incredibly Slow (loading strips like VEGAS mode if you see what i mean …). The reason was i didn't check the Buffer Size and it was accidentally set to 256 sample, the CPU was around 85%.
So it confirms that the S6 needs a lot free CPU (and memory) ressources on the workstations to remains reliable … But you'll understand that it's hard to tell a customer that, because we moved to S6, he'll have to restrain the numbers plugs he can put in his session whereas the workstation didn't change between DControl and S6.

Thanks !

Last edited by bucha; 10-26-2017 at 09:14 AM.