View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 08:47 AM

Default S6 slowing down PT

Hello guys,

I already posted about the slowness of the S6 with several while things working with big sessions (more than 200 tracks, which is very common around here) : nudging tracks on the S6, recalling layouts, displaying functions on the console with the ALL key activated, etc.

Eddie and his team seem to be working on those points … Can't wait for it.

But i'm experiencing something else that i find a bit alarming.
When the S6 is "linked" with my protools, it becomes way much slower in the way it reacts, and many operations can provocate the "spinning beach ball from hell" to appear and slow down the work.
It's very significant with the following actions : scrolling quickly the edit window, changing a routing of a track, opening the IO Setup (and validating it), moving the tracks within the session, creating tracks, deleting tracks, etc.

I was not sure about that, and the other day, while i was working in this very big session (350 voices, the HDX3 full and the CPU loaded at 60% in the usage window), I realized how much it was true.
The fact is that i began to work with this session with a DControl (same OS, same version of PT, same computer), it was heavy but it was absolutely workable.
The difference in how the PT reacts between the DControl and the S6 is big.
I just deactivated the Eucon in the peripherals, and immediately the Protools got back with a normal behavior. It's the same thing with all the sessions, even when i remove the satellite.

Do you know if there's any prefs or something i could do that would improve things ?

Here is my config :

OS 10.12.6, PT HD 12.8.1, HDX3, Mac Pro 5.1 3Ghz 12 Cores, 64 Go Ram.
S6 M40-9-32.
EuControl in V3.6.1.
Playback engine set at 512 samples, Delay Compensation is activated.
No video in the session.

and no other app is running of course.

Last edited by bucha; 10-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.