View Single Post
Old 05-28-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re:Keys to Success at a Studio (From \"Employment\")

Wow...I'd say.
I'm replying no one in particular, just find this thread interesting.
I'm one of the above mentioned "grey haird engineers out there that are going to die with their fists clenching the faders on their boards".. I've done the teaching thing. One of my client has become interested in the recording process and asked me if he could hang around and learn.
Timing was perfect , as we were getting quite busy. He had basic electronics knowledge, had a home studio and was a guitar/bass player. There was no pay for about six months, but after that I've become quite reliant on him and we set a flat rate/session fee.
This relationship lasted for 10 years and we are great friends still. I would leave him alone do do my whole sessions now with confidence.
On the other hand, the studio I'm currently located at have received many applications for an interning position. The main difference is, most of these kids want to get paid and don't even show up on time for their first appointment !! Some don't even show at all !!
So, all that said..ask yourselves if you are ready for the long and frustrating haul, being broke..etc.
No need to point fingers in the studios/older engineers direction. TIMING is crucial. Get to know some of the clients, ask them to demand your presence.
Notepad is a great idea, BTW. There is a lot to absorb at a fast pace.
Oh, and pack lunch. Not all sessions cater ! Salmon is good...

good luck to all ,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring