View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re:Keys to Success at a Studio (From \"Employment\")

Gee, I was kind of under the impression that there weren't any studios that actually had internship programs anymore. All the ones I've called have told me the same thing, something to the effect of: "sorry, this is a small studio, and I already have a partner."

BTW, I don't appreciate the the anology of the salmon. It really irkes me when someone compares younger less experienced people to mindless animals that only do what they are doing out of sheer instinct, and that lack any sort of free will to do otherwise.

Human beings are different, we have souls and free will. We choose what we do, and how we go about doing it. Denigrating younger generations who are trying to make their own way in the world by treating them like feces is not the way to advance a civilization. I mean, let's face it. This world is royally-jacked up because of the older people who do these things. The only hope that this world has for redemption is in the youth, and they ought to be treated as such.

To the people that say, "you HAVE to do things this way, because it's the way I did them, and the way they have always been done, so if you want to do it too, then you HAVE to do it this way", I say, to hell with the lot of you. That's the kind of mindset they have at Westpoint, or The Citadel. This is art, and music we're talking about here. It's the physical expression of the human soul, and for someone to say that there are X number of rules you have to follow if you want to be successful at it, otherwise you will fail; well then, mabey it's time we find a new way.

Here, I've got a couple of rules for the old crusty grey haird engineers out there that are going to die with their fists clenching the faders on their boards:

1) Treat your interns like full fledged and dually appointed members of the human race.
2) You're going to die someday. Share your years of experience and knowledge with the younger generations, so that we can advance this art.

The world is forever changing. The music and recording industry is changing--already has in many ways. Never again will we return to the days of the big budget recording studios whith lots of staff and huge budgets, and places for interns who just sit and watch and listen. Those engineers who told me that they just had a small studio, and already have a partner, also told me--with out saying it--that they don't have enough work for a dedicated intern. They can't afford to pay, or even have some one hanging around who isn't actually doing something.

Largely because of Digidesign, and Protools, and ESPECCIALLY Protools LE. We no longer need four or five people to perform the mix. Now, one person can do everything themselves, because of the automation that Protools offers. But that also means less opertunities for people to learn from those with more experience.

So, I make this challenge to the older, more experience engineers out there:

Don't find an intern. Find someone to mentor. Spend a year teaching a newbie what's involved in the recording and production process. Teach them about the equipment, and techniques, and introduce them to others in the field. And then spend a year with another.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One