View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Avid Control Frequently Disconnecting with Silicon Macs

I too have had what seems to be exactly the same issue. I have 4 x S1s and 1 x Dock that are all working flawlessly, but the Avid Control app drops out every 10-15 mins or so. The interface seems to 'freeze' and nothing is updated (ie, timecode display doesn't change when Pro Tools is playing), and controls are unresponsive. If I restart the app, the connection is restored, but it drops out again after the same amount of time. If I do not restart the app, eventually the app crashes and I'm returned to the iPad home screen - at this point I loose the currently recalled layout on the S1s.

I have tried 3 different iPads, and 2 different Lightning-USB-Ethernet adapters - all exhibit the same behavior.

All Eucon devices are running on an independent subnet, and are connected to an unmanaged switch (the unmanaged switch connects to the managed switch via 1 cable, so that the subnet is properly defined and managed) - there is no other traffic on the subnet. I have also tried connecting the iPad directly to the managed switch (to see if the unmanaged switch was the cause of the problem) and the results are the same.

It's worth noting that the dropouts only seem to occur when working in a Pro Tools session - the iPad Avid Control app remains responsive all day if the DADMan is the focused app. Likewise, if Pro Tools is open, but no session is loaded the app remains responsive. It does not seem to matter the complexity of the PT session that's running - a simple session with 40 tracks or a complex mix with 400 tracks - the behavior is the same

I never noticed this behavior on an Intel Mac, although I haven't used an Intel Mac with the exact setup that we're currently running.

Currently running:
MacOS 12.5.1 - Mac Studio 2022 M1 Ultra w 128GB RAM
PT 2022.12.0
Eucon 2022.12.0.81
iPad Pro ML0F2X/A
iOS 16.2
Avid Control App Version 2022.12.0.140
Ubiquiti UDM Special Edition Router
Ubiquiti USW-Enterprise-24-PoE Managed Switch
Netgear GS116Ev2 Unmanaged Switch