View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Recorded audio is not playing back in sync with other tracks

I had a similar sync problem when I first bought PT9/10 over a year ago. I recorded a few test tracks: first the Boom drum machine, then a guitar track using the GTR plug in and a bass track using sansamp PI. It sounded good when I recorded the tracks, although I noticed some minor latency, esp on the acoustic guitar going direct into the mbox pro interface.

Here's where it got interesting...when I played the recording back from the beginning of the drum track, all the tracks played in sync. If I stopped the recording after the verse and tried to start replay from the verse position, the drums immediately were out of sync - while the guitar and bass were still in sync with each other just out of sync with the drums. I talked to AVID tech support, I came down here to the DUC to get some help (they tried valiantly but no luck) and I reached out to several audio tech gurus I've known for many years here in LA - none could solve the mystery no matter how many work arounds were suggested and tried.

At the end of the day I could not figure out why the tracks would be "in sync" if I started the recording from the beginning but out of sync if I started it anywhere else in the recording. I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities: 1. I had somehow accidentally "marked" a different time signature on the drum track using the search marks, but failed to do so on the accompanying instrument tracks 2. the "composer" button (on the transporter) was engaged causing playback/timing issues.

I have no idea if those were the reasons for the out of sync issue, but the good news is that as soon as I learned a little more about how to set up and use PTs properly I have had zero sync issues on some 20 sessions since the first fubar session.

Make sure you have your session set up properly - there are many variables involved. As an exercise you might want to do several practice sessions using the session templates. The templates take some of the guess work out of the set up. I would also strongly suggest you get a book like Ignite or any other support material you can find and read as much as you can about setting up your session. The learning curve is sometimes arduous in PT and since you're using 11 you might have to wait a few weeks for commercial manuals and support materials to become avail. I would use materials from 9 or 10 to help navigate the basic parameters which should be similar to 11.

Good luck.

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.