View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeller View Post
Thanks Ben! I could totally see how a silent (turn off Turbo Charge), no drama, 2018 Mac Min configuration like yours could do the job for sure until all the M1/M1x kinks are worked out. My needs are pretty modest.

But the Apple Silicon route is very compelling. My dilemmas is whether it makes sense to early adopt M1/M1x now or punt for a year or 2. Which route will work more reliably for small studio use, 3 year old Intel based or Apple Silicon. If Apple Silicon is close to Intel based Rosetta, maybe a leap to Apple Silicon makes sense. All indications are that the new Mac Min M1x units with 4 TB ports are coming out soon.
Not an easy thing to figure out
Then include the fact that Avid is usually fairly slow at bringing PT up to current tech. and or the latest OS
Because I got my Carbon on the first round of units in Nov. I opted for the i7 tenth Gen iMac listed in my system info. But it can be loud, better with turbo boost off and I do record with it off

But at this juncture IF you can wait and If it were me I would be tempted to wait and see what the new Mac Mini with M1X chip will offer

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...