Thread: Workflow
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Default Workflow

Ive only switched over to software based recording with pro tools in the last year or so after having used outboard gear for many years.I also haven't done a lot because Ive been busy with other things but Im interested in finding out about peoples workflow because Im finding this way of creating music a bit tedious. I create electronic/house music.
I used to do all my sequencing on my MPC 2000xl which was great fun and completely different to what Im doing now because before the sequencing and recording process were separate. I would get lost in the creation of loops using the sequencer to string them all together etc and then once I finished I would record onto a multi tracker. The recording and mixing process was still tedious though.

Anyway now with protools the recording and sequencing are kind of together I guess. You create and record as you go as far as I know. I can't seem to get used to this process because you kind of aren't playing the music, well not in the same way. You play a bit then record it and another bit etc. so I don't feel like there is a flow and also I find it difficult to visualise what it is I am trying to achieve and my tracks end up all messy and then I get sick of it all and delete it.

Is there a better way to do this? My setup consists of midi controller keyboard for software instruments, virus indigo2 synth, mpc2000xl and a roland sound module. Before the MPC would control everything else but now not sure should I be getting protools to control my external instruments?? Whats your process?