Thread: RAM & Pro Tools
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 09:07 AM

Default Re: RAM & Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
“spinners” so to speak, have a lot going for them they’re not slow at all. a 7200 rpm can tear through the roughest of sessions and still hold it’s own. Your 5.1 boots off of one without mods. ssds fail from continuous read write failures. So if you have a “workhorse” session with a “drive killer” I would prefer to use your so called “slow spinner” to take up the slack rather than lose an expensive ssd to failure. I’ll give you an example of a drive killer. An old sd2 big session with tons of edits. Try putting on your internal, and you have a very expensive fix or replacement on your hands for what could have cost you pennies on the dollar for an external.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Doesn't take any kind of mod to boot a 5,1 from an ssd. Either put an ssd in a drive carrier or put one on a pcie card in a card slot. Install OSX, PT, plugins - done. SSD's don't fail anymore than spinners from continual read/writes. On the other hand a spinner will fail do to continual read/writes faster than a good ssd would. Think of all the work the head assembly goes through to get data. There's damned few people even using spinners anymore except for long term storage. You want evidence? Ask Southside Music and I doubt you'll find he has spinners in any of his systems. I believe he's running 7,1's.

QAPLA!