View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Any Carbon users who were using UAD Apollo before?

I'll chime in as someone who's a LIFER with Pro Tools. I tried Logic, Luna, Cubase, etc. over the years, but it's always back to PT for me. I learned on tape, used PT for over 2 decades, so this is my reference point.

Moved to Carbon from a dual Apollo system (Apollo 8 and a 16, both blackface, but not X series). Before those, I had a quad firewire silverface. Before THAT, I was working with a PT HD-Accel with blueface 192, etc.

Once I heard playback via Carbon I could hear right away greater clarity and detail I'd not heard/remembered in my other systems. Granted, it wasn't an A-B comparison, but man, this thing just sounds good. I could feel and hear it right away.

As far as pros/cons, I'll say the pros for Apollo never really resonated with me using Apollo (sorry, not sorry). Console App felt like a tedious & additional layer to get sounds into PT. And I tried Luna, but it didn't feel 'finished'. Learning Luna "because it's gonna be really good someday!" just wasn't working out for me.

The pros listed for Carbon I can agree with 100%.

The biggest winning thing I'll chime in on is DSP LATENCY. If you watched any of the announcement videos, there was one where the guy mentions (paraphrased): "Having near zero latency, once you hear it, you say to yourself 'Ah, that's what I've been missing.' We've all been using our home/semi-pro systems and just kinda 'working around' the latency thing. Once you experience this near zero latency, and within Pro Tools without jumping thru different settings/consoles/buffers/etc. you KNOW that you're now hearing what you've been missing all along."

It's true! Once you track JUST using Pro Tools without any Console/workarounds, and near 1ms latency, man, so refreshing!

I'll add that AAX DSP plugins can mirror/replace a lot of the UAD plugs, too via Plugin Alliance. And since there are DSP and native options for all these plugs means the onboard DSP processing can be used when tracking, but moved to native when mixing. Brilliant!

I'll still have my two quad satellites to handle old sessions, and perhaps still use some of the UAD plugs I'll keep from the previous system. But for now, I'm super happy with the Carbon.

Selling my two Apollos to fund the Carbon - another plus there, in my case, anyway, cost of the Carbon unit gonna be lower than a 'cold' purchase.

hope that helps someone....