View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Avid (pro tools) Apogee Duet for PC and PT 12 (perpetual).

I'd try to see if it's the breakout cable and if so replace it... that is an awful design relying on a cable like that.

But whatever the problems is you have a ongoing Windows device driver support issue looming with the Apogee. It was a badly done short lived OEM deal by Avid. So while for now I'd replace a breakout cable I'd also start looking at future options for a new interface.

There are many many great interfaces out there from UAD, RME, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus, Apogee (with limited Windows support), etc.

The SSL2 and Motu 2 are pretty low end models, great if that's all you need, but are you sure they are sufficient? You don't need fancier low latency hardware mixing capabilities? separate headphones out? more I/O?, monitor controller capability?, S/PDIF or ADAT IO etc. etc? The preamps in some of these cheaper interfaces may not be as good/quiet as those in the Apogee. I have not used them all to know, but I've alway been impressed by Apogee preamps. Maybe focus short term on seeing if the break out cable is the issue (check it carefully with a multimeter?) but longer term maybe spend time looking at other options/maybe considering if you want to go more upmarket not down?