View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Can\'t hear midi playback inside PT 6.4

Ok, lets see if I can shed some light on this subject! The most important thing to realize and understand is that midi is just data! It's essentially the "sheet music" of a performance. A lot of people use the analogy of the perforated paper used to play those old pianos, the ones that essentially play themselves. Each perforation triggers a key! Since midi is just "data" it can be used sometimes to control effect parameters and channel switching on some outboard effect gear too. So with that being said, midi needs something to read it in order for it to produce its "sound" or "audio". That is why in PTLE you NEED to have an aux track set up with a soft synth or hardware synth on it that is receiving the midi data. If it is not set up this way, you will not hear anything. So lets look at your set up and try to get it hooked up correctly.

Ok the first thing you need is the audio out on the back of your keyboard needs to be connected to an "analog" input on your Digi 001, so for argument sake lets just say you put it into analog input 1+2 for stereo. Now in PTLE, when you create an aux channel set the inputs on that aux to be analog 1+2. At this point, you should be able to press a few keys and get sound, regardless of midi. Take the time and adjust the volume on the synth and set your levels so it's not clipping. Do not proceed to the midi stuff until you can get sound that way, because if worse comes to worse you may as well record your keyboard performance as audio, just like any other instrument. To record the keyboard as audio, bus the aux track out to an audio track with the input on the audio track set for the corresponding bus.

Now for the midi stuff. When you create a new midi track, I'd leave the input on the midi track set to "all", that way it will pick up all data coming in. I'd only change that if you need specific data, which I personally find that I seldom need to change this. So with your keyboard midi out connected into the midi in on the Digi 001, arm the midi track and press a few keys, if you see lights on the midi track, it's receiving the "data" properly. Once that's good, record a bar or two. Check in the edit window, while in grid mode, and check to see if there are some notes or blocks listed on the track. If you see stuff there you are good to go with getting the performance down.

Ok, now time to check midi for the playback. I would do as Captain Pants suggested, set your Local Switch to "off" that way the keyboard won't fight PTLE for control. Set the output of the midi track to go to a "Digi port", now I don't have a 001, I have a 002R, but I know when I go to the midi out on mine I have Digi port 1, Digi port 2 and Microsoft sound mapper. Send it out to a Digi Port, and hook your keyboard's midi input with the cable corresponding to your Digi port.

Now this is just a personal preference of mine, but I have found it alleviates a lot of "I can't hear my input" syndrome, I leave my setting to "Input Only". If you read page 140-141 in the 6.4 reference guide you'll kind of understand why that's my choice.

Well I think you should be ready to hit the spacebar and play back that midi performance. If everything is set up, you should get some form of audio back.

Now the cool thing about midi, is once you have your data performance down, you can change your sound or instruments at will, if you don't like what your getting from your Yamaha banks, set up the free Sampletank on an aux track and load a few samples on that and send your midi track out to a Sampletank output, and play it back with that. Sometimes it's just cool to record a bunch of different sounds and blend them together.

Good luck, hope this helps, because I am out of answers!