View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 003 Hardware ID and Thunderbolt 3

Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapters are known to have problems on Windows. I would start by showing that worked with any device.

You give almost no info. *The* reliable way to get Firewire on Windows is to use a Firewire PCIe card, I would be doing that if you have PCIe slots. And if not and you cannot get this work using these adapters I would consider a Thunderbolt 3 expansion chassis with a PCIe Firewire card installed.

Quote:
The local tech has asked if I could find what PTs hardware device ID may be so we could assign in device manager. He says it must possible to connect as its layers of communication from hardware to software..
Your local tech does not know what they are talking about or is severely drunk.

Quote:
The other question he had is 'does the 003 rack ping out a signal, or is it waiting for a signal from the software?'. We want to know is the software and hardware active or passive.
"active or passive" is not the way to think of this, both sides are intelligent devices. A Firewire device responds to identification request packets sent on the Firewire bus, the kernel loads the driver in response to identifying it has a driver for that device. How all this actually works is probably irrelevant, and you can't change low level behavior, but you can start by seeing if the device manager sees the 003R appear at all in the device manger even if it can't identify what it is i.e. does not load the driver for it... after you confirm the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter works at all.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-08-2020 at 09:12 PM.