View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Migrating VI's from old Mac Pro to Mac Studio Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I have a ton of questions for anyone who has migrated VI's from one machine to another. I guess the main question is, Have you had better results cold installing them to the new machine or is migrating them just as good? Cold installing could take forever and I'm always in the middle of projects.

Going from an old 5.1 Mac Pro - actually two - via Vienna Ensemble Pro server - and squeezing it into this new world of no PCIe and no internal drives is another discussion of its own. But have any of you done that and, if so, what recommendations do you have?

I'm thinking of going NVMe for the libraries (Spitfire/Ivory/Trillian/Omnisphere and many others). If any of you have experience with NVMe, how did it work for you? Which format did you use to host the NVMe? I'm looking at a couple Sonnet and OWC options currently.
Thanks

Mac Pro Studio Ultra / 128
Pro Tools Ultimate HDX

See my other post above about reinstalling libraries.

I would go with Sonnet over OWC, especially as the Sonnet M.2 4x4 is now fanless. Not that I’ve ever heard the fan in my older version that has one. The OWC Accelsior 4M2 is a x4 card whereas the Sonnet is 4x4, 4 lanes for each NVMe blade and so faster. The new OWC Accelsior 8M2 has a very large fan!