View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 04:24 AM

Default Re: APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
Well, you might think I still use spinners, I don't unless for cheap backup purposes.
The fairytale never having to "defragment SSD storage" is not true.

Anyway, I use Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD's, all sizes between 256 GB to 2 TB.

The fairytale about APFS being the ultimate solution for SSD is something I will not buy. Since using APFS I had more trouble than in 30 years of using Macs, which is why I went back to HFS+.

Since having tested APFS extensively on all of my Macs startup is slower, period -and I do not startup from an NVMe as I know the speed they offer does not help for starting up. I investigated all this to death.

I am using HFS+ still and all is fine. Odd, right?
When you went to apfs did you zap your pram/nvram? When I jumped to OSX 10.13.6 on my 2012 cheesegrater my system drive (Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB on a pcie adapter) my boot times got horrendous - much slower than when I ran OSX 10.12.6 Did some digging and found that zapping the pram/nvram would cure all sorts of ills so I did that. After the pong start-up chime I get a working desktop in 15 seconds which is pretty darned good. I sincerely you 'investigated all this to death' or you wouldn't have the problem you say you had.

Besides to do hfs in High Sierra or later takes some hoop jumping to do.

Oh yeah - defragging any Mac drive has never really been a good idea, at least not with a defrag program. I've seen where a defragged drive actually was slower than before defragging and that goes back to System 6 days.

QAPLA!