View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 01:03 PM

Default Re: APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
In APFS nomenclature these are Containers and Volumes. Much more efficient than dealing with partition map. Usually one physical storage using APFS has one base Container that consumes all capacity, then one or more Volumes are added to that base Container.

If you want to, you can "partition" your "drive" having multiple Containers (partitions) that are independent of each others, then add volumes to whichever Container you wish. But if you partition like this, your VolumeX on Container2 is out of luck when Container2 runs out of space, even though Container1 would have free space. For certain scenarios adds a layer of simplicity though, when for example Container1 is for system and Container2 is for data, and you wish to rebuild system. Just leave Container2 intact and work with the Container1.

Perhaps too long a story, you already know how to partition. Just sayin' using those APFS Volumes (that can combined look like you can exceed your physical storage space considerably) is more flexible than straight up partitioning your storage (where the sum of space your partitions use cannot exceed storage capacity).
Janne,

I appreciate your efforts.
I know a little bit of all this, and I thought you knew.

No need to educate me.