View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: To bass manage or not to bass manage

Quote:
On the second point, I can see that I misunderstood you. But if you had full-range speakers, why would you use bass re-direct (which I assume crosses at 80Hz) in the first place? (Unless you are simulating a satellite/sub system).
you wouldn't...unless, as you say, you were checking for home or home theater compatibility. in other words, if you know ultimate destination will be bass managed. then you MUST.

dolby recommends 120Hz

you also might want to re-direct in the event there is a low end bump that you want to investigate on a track that is not being sent at all to the SUB. mic stands, feet, you know, any low end bump.

as the other stuff...share 5.1 mix secrets with competition that is only a 7 iron away ???

just kidding, tom lindquist has referred people to me since he has been with you. let me just say, if you got it, and want to use it, USE it. let creativity and your knowledge of post and PT be your guide. there, how's that for a (non) answer. music is tricky. i certainly have done it with stereo and with split stem music mixes. sometimes a bit of a struggle to get that bass and kick to sound just right while sending some to the sub. sometimes compression or mulitband, or eq sculpting helps you out here. i find FX are a breeze this way.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash