View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 07:41 PM

Default Fader to Channel Locking and Subsequent VCA Spill Question / Feature

Hey guys,

So on a D-Command I have a question about something I'd like to do but haven't really tried doing yet. I've had a D-Command 24 fader setup for 15 years or so, but admittedly, I use it mainly for monitoring and automation. I'd like to start using it more (I guess I'm super slow to adopt features even with the board staring at me everyday).

The way I'd ideally like to work, and the way I have my D-Command setup is with 8 faders on my left, the center section, and then 16 on my right. I sum with a Neve 5059 satellite and I usually create 8 summing groups which are essentially my sub busses that go out to my summing mixer. The 8 stereo channels are usually something like | DRUMS | BASS | KEYS | VOCALS | BACKING VOCALS | GUITARS | PADS | EFX |.

So ideally I'd like these physically located on the very left side of my D-Command so they show up as the 8 faders. OK - no problem. However, they will move around a lot if I bank or nudge, and I'd ideally want them locked to that position. I also wanted to be able to hit spill and have the member tracks that those subs represent spill over to the RIGHT hand 16 faders.

This workflow would be so quick and easy for me, and my way of thinking. Now I know I can create Custom Faders and make each of these 8 sub groups a custom fader. But would they be able to be LOCKED and kept un-bankable on the left hand side?

If this was possible, and these subs were actually VCA faders, I believe then hitting VCA spill would allow their member groups to automatically show up spilled over the right hand side since that's all the space there would be for them. This would be KILLER.

I rarely have more than 16 tracks in a given sub group, so this method would allow me to start at the sub group level, and then quickly focus in on any of the members of each group, always quickly on the right hand side for member tracks, and the left for their corresponding sub masters.

Thanks for reading... is this possible? I intend to tinker around when I'm not busy mixing tomorrow.

Best,
Neil

30" Cinema Display | Adam S3a and Dali MS-4 with Krell KAV-400xi amplifier | Lynx Aurora HD interface w/ Cranesong Spider via AES

Last edited by neilvg; 02-01-2021 at 09:38 AM.