View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 AM

Default Re: whats the best OSX for PT 2021.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
Mojave is the best, because it's the last OS still supporting the video engine (such as Quicktime Bounce with same as source for every video format). In fact it's the last OS before Apple started forcing developers to re-write/re-compile for 64 bit and now M1.

Bottom line, even PT 2021.6 is still trying to fully transition from 32-bit to 64-bit as required by Catalina (they had to ditch QuickTime components, ruining the Quicktime Bounce feature, which they still have not fully restored to full working condition). And Big Sur is optimized for M1 chips, but PT is not even close to running natively on M1, so much so that the video engine has literally been disabled for 2021.6 on M1 Macs!!!

Until PT comes out with native M1 support and a video engine that can bounce out same-as-source H264/H265, I'll be sticking to Intel/Mojave.

Of course if you NEVER use video, then Catalina is a pretty good bet too.

I was just about to upgrade to Catalina and then I saw this message. oh that's important to know, i use the bounce-to-video feature (to same as source) a lot. thank you for all of your advice.