Thread: $1500 Question
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Default Re: $1500 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I have PT's HD 10 and it's not that it runs worse than Native in any way. It runs great actually. It's just that the TDM architecture makes it impossible to do just two things; implement a higher voice count and to implement a bigger delay comp engine. The fact that, with TDM, you don't have to worry about latency when tracking is still a major advantage for TDM. This will continue with HDX.
Hey Werner,

Glad to hear it's running well with TDM. $1500 is half of a new computer, and so many of my colleagues have gone native because they have shiny new many core macs, and are saying the performance is actually better on all fronts than HD3!?!? The bulk of the people staying with TDM are mixers (me included) and mixing stages.

I personally have never been able to mix a show on a native system without problems. But to be clear, I've never tried using the "HDN" card. I also understand one needs a really fast system to get the benefits.

My personal mixing suite has a Macpro 1,1 4 gigs of RAM, 10.6.8 PTs 8.04.cs2 (pt8.05 is just broken on my rig) and HD3 ACCEL - obviously since that's all they make for PCIe a 192, sync IO and an 888/24. Took a while but I have the rig rock solid for daily mixing of TV, film, video game cinematics and music along with so many other things I do with the rig including realtime net broadcasts and source connect sessions.

I just don't see how a native system could give me low enough latency for all the configs I do.

I just heard that the editors at Sound Delux went Native. Only the mix stages have stayed on TDM. And yet, many mixers are telling me HDN is fine for mixing now. Maybe I'll drop by one of the studios who went Native and check it out.

I've done all the upgrades to multiple rooms for myself and many studios from nubus to pci and all that, but I've never faced a software price hit like this one.

So unless my clients (who rely on me for advice) can get in for $599, I'm going to advise everyone to stay put, and wait till there is a demand for 10 or 11 from other studio's. losing B-B work right now is the only reason I can can justify to spend $1500 or more for software. For us 8HD guys, I think it's great that we have access to AAX plugins, and 10 compatibility "when we NEED it. My poor 7 guys, $2500??? I think for them, if they need to stay on a DSP system, waiting for the HDX cards is the only sane option since the software will come with the cards.

What made you go for it and did you do the $1000, $599, or beta?