View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Signal Chain mic-preamp-interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Lets start with what exactly you want to record, what exact mic(s) you have, what exact make/model ADAT preamp, what cards are installed in the 192 IO(s), and what exact monitors/speakers you have. Include any other monitor controllers as well.

I can not follow at all what you mean by this. You mean how to get Pro Tools output to your monitors? Or are you trying to do
Pro Tools hardware inserts? (why/for what? ... and if so leave that until you get experience with a basic setup working).

Since most ADAT preamps are output only, you normally could/would not go back out of an interface through an ADAT box to monitors. And especially not when your 192 typically has direct line outputs. Maybe you have a box with ADAT output and input, you have to tell us exactly what you have.

You list multiple systems/components in your signature. In this modern era I really have trouble seeing why somebody getting started would want to build a TDM/DigiLink system, when modern Pro Tools offers lots of new features, modern ASIO interfaces can provide more flexibility and modern well set up systems can track at such small HW buffer sizes. Professional studios on HDX (or legacy TDM) may be a different world. I would think carefully about the end-place you want to be and how hard you might be making it to get there.

Some stuff here may also be helped by reading a good book on audio engineering. The Recording Engineer's Handbook 4th Edition by Bobby Owsinski is a good place to start.
Thank you very much for your reply Darryl,

So Ill elaborate a little more info. I am not aiming to be a professional studio in any way. I am simply a musician on a tight budget trying to record my tracks then go to a proper studio to have them mixed and mastered. I have very old recordings of raw guitar tracks. I have built my setup to complete about 12 songs with vocals bass and midi drums over the next year or so or how ever long it takes.

As far as the signal chain or flow is, Im just trying to understand how you take an existing raw guitar track and then send it out to my preamp as it was never recorded with a preamp to begin with. I believe this is done with an insert like you stated. I have everything plugged into my 96i and monitoring its outputs to the speakers. I haven't yet connected all the 192 in yet as I don't have the snake cables for it yet. I am wanting to understand the signal flow better so I know which cables to buy. I just need 2 snakes for inputs and 1 for outputs. Currently the signal is mic - to - preamp - to 96i. I just want to know if that's how i connect the 192 also or do I output from the 192- to - preamp input then back to adat in of 192.

I will definitely be reading and learning a lot from YouTube as I have done. I will try and track down the book you recommend Thank you.

Here is my hardware components

192 IO
1 analog input card
2 analog output cards
1 Digital IO :-
Adat in-out
AES/EBU
Tdif

Microphone
Rode nt 1-a
Apex 435
Apex 180

Preamp
Presonus Digimax 96k
2 Beringer Ultragain 2200

Monitors

m-Audio BX8a
Yamaha NS-10m
DUAL OS WIN 10 & 7sp1 64 BIT
1TB SSD 250GB SSD 120GB SSD

Last edited by THRiLLZz; 01-07-2023 at 04:45 PM.