View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Signal Chain mic-preamp-interface

Lets start with what exactly you want to record, what exact mic(s) you have, what exact make/model ADAT preamp, what cards are installed in the 192 IO(s), and what exact monitors/speakers you have. Include any other monitor controllers as well.

Quote:
protools - preamp - 192
I can not follow at all what you mean by this. You mean how to get Pro Tools output to your monitors? Or are you trying to do
Pro Tools hardware inserts? (why/for what? ... and if so leave that until you get experience with a basic setup working).

Since most ADAT preamps are output only, you normally could/would not go back out of an interface through an ADAT box to monitors. And especially not when your 192 typically has direct line outputs. Maybe you have a box with ADAT output and input, you have to tell us exactly what you have.

You list multiple systems/components in your signature. In this modern era I really have trouble seeing why somebody getting started would want to build a TDM/DigiLink system, when modern Pro Tools offers lots of new features, modern ASIO interfaces can provide more flexibility and modern well set up systems can track at such small HW buffer sizes. Professional studios on HDX (or legacy TDM) may be a different world. I would think carefully about the end-place you want to be and how hard you might be making it to get there.

Some stuff here may also be helped by reading a good book on audio engineering. The Recording Engineer's Handbook 4th Edition by Bobby Owsinski is a good place to start.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-07-2023 at 02:13 PM.