View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Best way to back up a hard drive

FWIW,

I make a backup of the whole project to FW HD. When the HD is full, it's placed on the shelf and replaced with a new. In addition, I burn a DVD of the project file and consolidatet media. I would not trust just one backup-format. I'd also make a third DVD backup for storing outside the studio. I've not done this myself (yet) but it makes great sense.

For day-to-day backup, I've gone from using DLT tape and Retrospect to just dragging the project folder to a dedicated backup drive.

For full drive backup of the system volume (before updates, new installs etc.), I use a great little app called Carbon Copy Cloner. It makes a mirror copy of the source disk, bootable and everything, to a new disk. I find it too slow for day-to-day backups.

Works for me.

Stein Tore
Audio editing suites at work: Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 (HDN), Mac Pro 6.1, OS X Mojave, MTRX Studio, Artist Series control surfaces.