View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Best way to add more mic pres to HDX/Omni system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you decide to go for the HD IO, then whatever preamp you get does not have to have digital outs like the Midas, so you have a lot more choices. And all 8 channels do not have to be the same unless you want that. You could get two 4 channel preamps, or four 2 channel preamps, or eight different 1 channel preamps, and so on. That could also get expensive though.
This^^^ is a great idea and is what I did when I had my Nashville studio. Here are some things to consider:
1-add an 8-10 slot 500 rack and fill it with pairs of matching preamps(I had 2xVintech 573, 2xFiveFish X-12 and 2xChameleon Labs 581's)
2-anything connected via lightpipe will be bypassing any converters(so the HD IO is less important for just connecting a lightpipe preamp).
3-if you need higher sample rates(and you probably don't), the XL-48 has analog, as well as AES outputs.
4-a "standard" 192 has 8 analog IO and 8 digital IO(so that could handle the XL-48 on lightpipe AND 8 channels on analog)
5-just an FYI, the 192 DIGITAL can't take analog cards at all(but you could use 2 lightpipe preamps for 16 more inputs).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave