View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 AM

Default Re: How to identify chipset in external hard drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezo View Post
That's the thing. I did get this on eBay. And though it was listed as new, the box wasn't sealed in a way that the drive couldn't have been minipulated & put back in the box.

With the other drive clearly saying Oxford under About This Mac, I'd expect to see that for this one as well. Why would it not say Oxford?

Maybe I'm paranoid because I had to return 2 used drives to B&H that arrived defective and with someone's music on both. With a well known store sending me drives without even erasing the files, I can't put anything past a private seller. I'd feel better if there was a way to know for certain.
I don't think the string you are fixating about independently proves the drive uses an Oxford chipset, its just a string programmed into the device. I guess Glyph did not program it exactly the same on all their models. With my G-tech drives that use oxford chipsets, they have not even bothered to do that the same string just says "OEM".

The Firewire chipset is on a PCB inside the enclosure. Somebody would have to open the enclosure take out the PCB replace it with another one that just happens to fit. Nobody is going to do that. The most likely possible scams to look would probalby a) paid for drive never arrives b) drive arrives but is dead or flaky or c) somebody taking a no-name Chinese external FW case and sticks a fake Glyph label on it. If this really looks like and is labeled as a Glyph drive and shows up in the disk utility as a Glyph then that is what it is. And it will have an Oxford chipset.

Darryl