View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: D/A for external mixing on a Mix system...

I agree with minister here. The problem honestly with ALL them you mentioned isn't the bit depth vs one vs the other. Its the fact that their clocks SUCK, and are real old clock technology that just don't cut the mustard nowadays (IMO) --

But for the budget you are on, it is basically impossible to get the amount of ins and outs you need/want on a decently good converter that would have a decent clock in it. (like the Apogees A/D + D/A 16 X Series Converters)...

So if you absolutely can not build a bigger budget (which I feel you should, you will thank yourself later for it), then what I would do is go get the "Apogee Big Ben" external converter clock. It is only about $1,400.00 brand new out the door from GC Pro and then link that up to ANY of your converters,, and woahlah !!! The best conversion sound for the money... Of coarse the more bits the better on which ones you pick to use/get as far as them 888's, BUT here you either way will notice MORE of a difference using a REAL Pro clock on either of them 888's ---

In other words, using the Big Ben on the 16bit 888 would make more of a difference sound quality wise than NOT using a Big Ben on even the 24bit 888... (IMO)

But of coarse even better would be to use all 24bit 888's with a Big Ben clocking them.....

And even better than that would be to sell any and all converters you got, save more money, and get them Apogee A/D + D/A 16 X Series Converters. They have Big Ben built into them, and they are using all the latest/best technology, and circuitry as far as what the industry has learned thus far about conversion.

Hope This Helps --