View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 05:32 AM

Default Re: PT12.1.0 Video Engine Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Ray, I think this must be something that is happening depending on each person's configuration (which is really bad). As I posted before, my system is not showing any of these symptoms that are being described in this thread. I posted my specs before, but last year I did 10 feature films, 2 large sound design projects, 6 hours of wild life TV, several shorts, and some trailers and NEVER have I seen the kind of problems that Michael is showing in his video. There are issues in Pro-Tools (crashes, auxes not passing sound, bad noise coming out of one speaker, etc) and issues with the AVE. For the regular Pro-Tools bugs that have been there for years we have a work around or at least we know when it is time for a re-boot. For the video engine, I sometimes get: "video engine could not get started' (or something like that) and I just hit stop and play again and it is fixed. This video can not get started glitch happens many be 5 times a week so 5 times in 50 hours of work but again I all do is hit play again and it is fixed. The video engine works for me no matter how fast I edit or move regions around but I wish Avid would fix: crashes at closing sessions, auxiliaries stop passing sound, I/O not remembering assignments or making outputs and buses inactive upon re-opening a perfectly good session, timecode spotting of regions often puts the region at the wrong timecode number, beach ball and crash for no reason at all, etc.
Garnoil, thats right it doesn't stop me from working, and I mixed several feature films and lots of documentaries on PT11. This problem has its most effect when editing / moving regions.
I never had this issue during mixing on my D-Command maybe because I don't move regions anymore?
BTW: I never had PT crash during closing the sessions but yes, I saw my busses stopping passing audio just out of the blue. The I/O not remembering assignments - got used to it ;-) Interesting how PT12 deals with it as it has a new IO config.
So may be those of us who have the AVE issues are a minority, so Avid don't count this bug as a serious problem.
But it irritates me so strongly that I would invest to rebuild or even change my system if it would help me with this problem. But here Frank says that even newer Trash Bins have this issue...

On the background I have constantly opened SoundMiner Pro 4.5 and maybe Safari but that make no difference IMHO.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24