View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 02:25 AM

Default HDX & 3rd Party DAWs (Mac) Interface Sync & HW Buffer Size

Hi,

We have several macs running Monterey and PT2022.7 (inc HD Driver 2022.7) and 2 x HD I/O Interfaces. Internal Sync on HD I/O#1, Loop Sync on HD I/O#2. All works exactly as expected when running Pro Tools. However...

We also need to run Logic Pro (10.7.4) and Ableton Live (11.1.5) on the systems. When launching a 3rd party DAW, and setting HDX as the Audio I/O, the interfaces do not switch to Internal and Loop Sync. The result is that there are dropouts in the incoming audio.

If I open Audio Midi Setup (AMS) and toggle the Clock Source of the HDX to something different, then back to Internal #1, it all locks up and works without error.

A possibly related issue is the HW Buffer Size of the HDX does not switch with the 3rd party DAW HW Buffer Size changes and has to be switched manually via Configure Device in AMS. This doesn't work if any software is using HDX at the time. AvidAudioServer crashes.

This has been going on through several versions of the Avid HD Driver. Making me think I've missed something quite obvious. A search of Google is of no help, so I might be unique. ;-) It does appear that the integration of HDX with CoreAudio is not as tight as we might need.

Any suggestions of sensible solutions to help our students have a smoother experience gratefully received.

Jon Wills
Solent University - UK

10 x Avid HDX Systems, 5 x Avid HD Native Systems, 75 x PT Native Systems