View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Re: All about Headphones/Speakers

Interesting facts about those older AKGs (made in Germany) now everything is made in China or Thailand using rare earth magnets.

When TV or News crews on location are monitoring a live take at $80-100k per day what do they use? 7506s

IMO they are like NS-10s. Everyone is used to their sound and can usually manage a decent rough mix, or location adjustments ---> soft clip limiters, levels, for location work that translate decently to larger speakers in an acoustically treated control room.

My only complaint is that after a while the springs get sprung because of my fat head.

Sony wants to stop production, as they must be expensive to make.

Koss oil filled phones pads still hurt your head but were once available special order through Radio Shack but now they come with a built in mic primarily for pilots. Used the originals for better isolation but perhaps higher end Senns (I've been told) do the job but may hurt your head for extended sessions. Better isolation than 7506s. I've used the top end Beyers, unfortunately a cable was cutting audio in and out annoyingly (one side).

I must have bad luck, between Beyer, AKG, Fostex, AT, all are broken (usually one side cuts out). Fostex were well made but had a design flaw in the plastic injection molding. These are the older pro models.