View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 02:20 PM

Default Re: 11R SPDIF intermittent problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Huh? One device needs to be set to internal clock and the other device needs to be set to clock from the other device, you have to do that, otherwise there is no way the clocks are in sync.

Always start/debug things as simply as possible. That would be with *one* S/PDIF cable.

I was using only 1 cable. With the 11R as master internal and the SP40 set to receive clock over SPDIF. This would cause the pro 40 to lose FW sync lock with the computer. That's what I meant, I thought that was standard terminology because that's what it says in Saffire Mix Control.

That said, I now have my 2 spdif cables, so that way I can send audio from the daw for reamping or a stereo instrument from the Saffire inputs routed to the digi in on the 11R.

Works immediately, 11R is set to clock slave, and when I change SR in Saffire Mix Control, the display on the 11R updates instantly to reflect the new SR when viewing the clock settings.

Seems like the cable was either too thin, or not enough copper, or who knows. Maybe the people who get by with RCA cables have been using older higher quality RCA audio cables made from better wire? Not sure, but even when it *was* working, the response was not this quick and reliable feeling. I'm confident in saying it was simply a matter of me using inadequate wiring.

All is now well in the world (at least until the AVID Marketplace reveals that new ELEVEN plugin that could or could not be a major upgrade from the rack and not be compatible with it...)