View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 05:21 PM

Default Overdub Monitoring is broken in 2020.9.1 With Apollo 8

Strange issue but seems the opposite to the one described here:http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411840.
I have an Apollo 8 on the front end and it worked flawlessly set up as the monitor controller with the proper flags set in the preferences. i.e. overdubbing on a track with a pre-roll set, you could hear the previously recorded audio along with the input to play along with, then at the punch point the pre-recorded audio would drop out and only the input would be heard. Now what happens is, I hear the previous audio and when it punches I hear the audio from the input and the audio through the track, with a slight delay, based on the buffer size. No matter what I do, this is broken. LLM, no LLM, LLM with persistent sends 'fixes' it, sort of, but it mutes any audio coming from the track, so it's useless for overdubbing. The only way I've found to get around this horrible bug is to open the Setup->Playback Engine dialog and close it...no other action needs to happen. However, once I switch to another track and enable it's record button, or switch the same tracks record button off and on the audio is once again heard twice after the punch. Again opening Setup->Playback Engine and closing it fixes it for that operation. This is pretty maddening, especially if you're working with a lot of tracks and going between them. I've trashed prefs and all the other files, rebuilt stuff, done the optimizations, etc. But it's a bug. The good news is my Mac 6.1 is solid as Sears on Catalina and 2020.9.1...except I can't use it to overdub with...any ideas?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.