View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Sound quality of Digi 002 vs Mix system

Quote:

If I have a Avalon pre running to a rosetta 800 and then out to 002R which clock is being used...is it the ultra-low jitter rosetta or the 002r? And correct me if I am wrong but you can't send word clock to an 002R right?

Well, on the A/D side, the clock in the Rosetta is what's being used. There's still the monitoring issue, and that depends on what's driving your monitor DAC. If you're monitoring using the 002R, then that clock in the 002R, as extracted from the Rosetta, is what you're using for your monitor path. It probably sounds different than the 002R in internal mode, but it might not be 'right' in an absolute sense either.

A good solution to this is to get a monitor DAC that's relatively impervious to its clock source. The Benchmark DAC-1 is such a beast. It's not a perfect DAC (what is??!!) but it sounds mighty nice and it's pretty immune to the clock you drive it with, moreso than any other converter I've used (Apogee PSX-100, Focusrite Blue 260, Digi 888/24 etc.)

I just finished a CD using a DAC-1 and for the first time, the output of PT Mix sounded the same as the dump from Sonic as did the playback of the CDR on a standalone Tascam. The other good part is that the DAC-1 is relatively cheap - about $750. For a DAC of this quality, that's reeel cheeep!!

As for word clock to an 002R, there's no need anyway. The Rosetta outputs are in phase with each other, so as long as you clock to one pair, all the others will follow. I'm not even sure of the output format (lightpipe or AES), but as long as you get your 002R to sync to its digital input from the Rosetta, all will be well.

Best of luck,

-monte-