View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Value of "Used" Ultimate License?

I wouldn't pay more than $300, as I would have to pay $1,000 on my end to get back into the support plan and I can find current/new licenses for $1,300 on eBay.

In any case, that's if I were determined to get a perpetual license, which is hard to see as a good option these days. This is why:

I buy my Pro Tools Ultimate subscription during Black Friday. So far, Avid has offered a 20% discount during those days. So I get it for exactly $63.99 per month. I not only get Pro Tools, but also a huge plugin bundle from Avid/AiR and a license for HEAT.

It would take me almost 2 years of paying that subscription to have paid a similar amount as the cost of the perpetual license on discount, without the plugins, without HEAT, and, most importantly, I would have to additionaly pay for the support plan again every year.

I hate having to be on the subscription plan. But I can't longer see any advantage on having a perpetual license. Unless I was planning on never updating it again.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''

Last edited by Zarabozo; 01-31-2021 at 10:15 AM.