View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Just got my Omni. Some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndgeek View Post
I think this is the way you differentiate between "consumer" line level and "professional" line level. Most consumer gear runs 14dB quieter than pro gear (a la mixing boards, I/O's etc). Used to have to run an Aphex line converter to get my consumer gear (DVD player, iPod etc) to get proper level into ProTools.
That's the problem...in the US "pro" line level is +4 dBu, where consumer line level is -10 dBv.

Neither of these match up to what is shown in the Omni manual.

Further, in the specs for the Focal CMS 50 5" Nearfield Reference Monitor (just one I grabbed out of the air), it says "Adjustable sensitivity: +4dBu / 0 / -10dBV", which corresponds to the pro and consumer line levels (plus 0, just to confuse things).

And further still, just to confuse things even more, on the HD I/O, it lists the analog line outputs as +4 dBu.

Kinda makes me wonder if the numbers in the Omni manuals might be typos. Maybe Avid can chime in and help us out...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Bill Denton; 02-21-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Correcting incorrect information