View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Is a mic preamp necessary with the Mbox 2 mini?

Quote:
Thanks for all of the answers. I guess the main concern I have is not necessarily the functionality of the preamp (phantom power, gain control, etc.), but that I would like to warm up my vocals and give them a sweeter sound. I guess I will look into getting something with tubes, maybe a compressor, since I don't really need a preamp. Thanks again for the input.
Agian, I don't know what you have in your setup. However, a compressor (tube or otherwise) in of itself will be useless to you. The only place you could use it would be before the preamp in the Mini, and since a compressor is a line level processor, there is no place to attach a microphone.

You could buy an external mic pre/compressor combo, but to get anything halfway decent will cost. There are some low cost units, but I'm not sure that you will benefit from something like that.

There is a range of relatively inexpensive tube microphones out there which might help you. But please, see if you can try before you buy. Just because something is called a tube product does not necessarily make it good sounding.