View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 02:11 PM

Default Re: New rig issues- 2x MTRX Studios and an HDX TB3

Hi - like the OP I have moved over from a Logic/UAD world. Dante sounds incredible for expansion!

I have a MTRX Studio via HD TB3 box connected to my analogue console = 16 channels i/o. I record live musicians and overdub so this solution great as latency minimal; I want to connect another 8 channels of analogue i/o to use the full console. You're suggesting I should simply use a Dante AD/DA and not worry about HD connectivity via digilink? eg an Apogee Symphony with Dante card, no digilink or TB required.

Inputs into symphony get recorded into protools via Dante, and protools plays back to Symphony and Matrix, one via HD digilink, the other via Dante? Is that right?

If I do an overdub the musicians hear on their headphones (currently the cue mix from my console but via Dante in the future) with protools playing up to 23 tracks across MTRX and Symphony and I then overdub into eg Symphony on track 24?

But I hear Dante adds additional latency to HD which would make live musician overdubs more problematic?

cheers
H

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
You could also serve the 16 channels of IO from MTRX Studio 2 up to the Dante network and not connect it to the HDX card at all.

I say this next bit not for the OP but just as a general point for anyone thinking about how to structure their MTRX/MTRX Studio install.
It is obv just my personal opinion.

2x MTRX Studios is not the way I would do it.

You can expand a single MTRX Studio with any number of Dante expanders, some of which sound as good as the MTRX Studio.
All the way up to 64 channels of IO.

In my full fat MTRX the sky is the limit in terms of routable channels- thousands of them if I need to.

This is what I have attached to the MTRX:

I also have a Rednet PCIE-r, Ferrofish Pulse 16DX, Eventide H9000, Lynx Aurora N 32 Dante and a bunch of computers using DVS.

The whole point of having Dante on an audio interface like the MTRX/MTRX Studio is to be able to expand it in this manner.

2x MTRX Studios gives you the same conversion across the board but that isn't really such an issue.
I have converters from 5 or 6 different companies and they all sound fine.