View Single Post
Old 11-20-1999, 01:00 PM

Default Re: digi 001 vs. MOTU 1224

Thanks peppertree that really helps.

I don't think the only reason to want to go to analog is if you have access to an expensive SSL. I just don't like the sound when everything stays in the digital domain. It sounds chalky and grainy to me. I'm sure there are engineers that are talented enough to get a great sound completely in digital but I think they are few.

I'm just not impressed with the way Ricky's and Lenny's recordings sound. I think their recordings sound brittle and grainy. I'm sure their are great all digital recordings out there by less known artist. Someone please point me to some of them.

I also don't want to change the way I work just bacause manufatures want to take us in new directions that benifit their bottom line. I sold a lot of great analog synths for pennies on the dollar to buy digital sample based synths back in the day. I'll be GD if I do that again with my great sounding analog console. I like knobs and warm not brittle sounds.

I do believe tape is dead for tracking but not mixdown. Analog is going to be around and in time people are going to figure out what parts of the aound and signal path are best analog and what parts are best digital, at least until we get great analog simulations. Do you think the tern 'virtual analog' will creep its way into the DAW world? I really wonder how many people really listen with their ears opposed to looking at specs and feature list with their eyes.

Just my opinion
Thanks again peppertree