Thread: New Licensing
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Lets say I group the Audio user world into -

1) Super cash limited - students - novice - beginning hobbyist - some musicians

2) People with disposable income - Musicians with other jobs - serious hobbyists - semi-pro (folks who earn some money with studio equipment or music in general) - small private and project studios

3) People/Companies that make a living on studio work - Full time recording studios - Post - Movies etc...

Now I ask -
a) which group represents the largest cash spent/yr on studio equipment
b) Which group represents the largest untapped market for AVID

I don;t know the answers but this rampant dismissal of group #2 seems almost pathological here . Who do we think buys all these mid to high tier preamps/Compressors/Microphones/Mogami/ProTools/Plugins etc...
Think about TEAC 3340s, ADATs, FostexR8, Mackie, and now - Kush, Burl, Lynx, Apogee, UAD, Aurora Audio, Metric Halo, Gefell, Neumann etc etc etc.... You think only group 3 is buying this stuff?????

Dismissing Group 2 and thinking they are really group 1 is a trend I am seeing here that I completely disagree with...

And lets look at the purchasing algorithms for the three groups
1) Can I afford it - can I get it for free - Can I live without it
2) Is it cool - would I like to have it - Does it do something for me that I don't have yet
3) Can I make more money with it than with what I have - Do I have to get it

Which group would you like to sell to?? Where is the largest untapped $$$
I think that Avid tried and missed with Group 2, going back ten years at least to the purchase of M-Audio. They are loyal users of other DAWs because they do not need Pro Tools compatibility for what they do. Feature for dollar, they can get what they want and need elsewhere. The only way Avid would be able to capture them would be to offer PT HD at PT vanilla prices, and I'm not sure that would work either.

Among PT users, Group 2 may not be recognized as existing, but I think Avid have already tried and failed to reach them.