View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Got HD PCIx cards- switch from mac to PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale Eckstein View Post
So I'm getting kind of 50-50 response between here and the crosspost on Windows forum.
This doesn't surprise me. It's the eternal "Mac -vs- PC War" that's been raging for years.

The bottom line is that you have to balance your need to not have to put a 2nd mortgage on your house with your need to actually have a system that works reliably, quickly, and is compatible with as many other studios as possible. This is a simple matter of what you're willing to spend. Either you're looking at a chassis with a new Intel Mac, crossgrading your cards and just getting an Intel Mac, or getting a PC. All have their plusses and minuses.

I work in the IT industry, and every time someone puts in a "Change Control" ticket (aka "we're gonna change something drastic that may not work"), there's a section called "back out plan." Whatever plan you go with, make sure you have a detailed, step-by-step "back out plan," so WHEN something doesn't go right, you can immediately get your old rig working without having a coronary and losing studio time.

Me, I took what might be the coward's way out. I just didn't upgrade at all, which is kind of the ostrich with his head in the sand approach. I still run my G4 Dual 533 on PT 6.2.3.

Now that being said, when I do decide to upgrade, I am most likely going the chassis with Intel Mac route for client compatibility reasons; I've only had one client who ran on a PC rig since I've been running PT that needed a session I did on my Mac rig. At least that's the plan for now.