View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Stuck in glitch town. How do I escape?

Thanks for the replies.

Some general answers:

The interface is the IF/FW-DM which is a firewire card mounted in the DM3200 mixer. I have the latest driver. I don't use the mic pres in the DM3200 at all. The apogee is my input and is connected to the DM3200 digitally. This is the audio input for the system. My signal flow would be mic pre-> AD16x->DM3200->DAW via IF/FW-DM. Hopefully that makes sense. It works fantastically outside of PT.

My test is to create a project with one track. I assign an input to the track and arm it to record. At that point I can her the sound source through the monitors via PT input monitoring. If I make a sustained sound I will hear certain kind of glitch that is a combination of a click and chirp or it will drop out and be silent for a moment. When I start to record it doesn't drop out to silence but it will make the click/chirp every 2 seconds while recording during sustained sounds. I experience identical performance at any buffer size less than 1024 samples. At 1024 the latency is unacceptable.

I have done this test on the striped RAID, the mirrored RAID and also using the non-RAID system drive. I don't have another internal drive at the moment I can test on. The system behavior is consistent on each drive setup. I know it's not advisable to run a project on the system drive but it's all I've got for the test.

I will get onto that Sandra report a little later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Start at the "Help us help you...." Link above on this page and post a SiSoft Sandra report. Identify which if the drive volumes identified in that report contains any VI sample files and which one is the dedicated audio/session file drive.

What exact interface and driver version are you using? Always the Apogee or is the Tascam on Firewire as well?

What are all the playback engine dialog panel settings? (Post a screen shot)
If ignore errors is checked, uncheck it, and see what errors Pro Tools throws.

Go double check that all the optimizations are done, and fine exactly. Every last little optimization step, carefully, and if unclear ask. It often seems that people do not do these completely/fully. Common mistakes seem to include not setting the app to run as administratotpr, vs. thinking they are an admin is enough, or forgetting to disable Microsoft's own antivirus software, and there are more...