View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitt123 View Post
Also you said I should select the Virtual Instrument as the MIDI output, not the Triton... but where is that? Under what tab do I select that?
On the track, where you select the MIDI outputs (on an instrument track, it is in the instrument view, on a MIDI track the main I/O).

It's the same place you looked when you saw this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitt123 View Post
Under Input port, I selected USB Uno MIDI IN, same for output port.
You have to insert the Virtual Instrument on a track first for it to show up as a MIDI Output.
I think I know where the confusion is here.

I think skitt is referring to the 'Input Port' and 'Output Port' that are in the MIDI Setup window. When spkguitar is saying 'It's the same place you looked when you saw this:", he's referring to the input and output tabs on the TRACK, not in the MIDI Setup window, but skitt is going to think it's in the MIDI Setup window.

Here's an image of an Instrument track in Pro Tools:

Instrument Track

Make sure your Mix window is showing the Instrument section (go to View>Mix Window and check 'Instruments'), so you can see the MIDI section of the Instrument track at the top of the track. That will show your MIDI input and output for the track. Generally you will have the input (the top tab) set to 'All', while the next tab down (the output) is set to the virtual instrument you want to play.

Press the Record button on the track (the one above 'S' and 'M' and the fader) and play your keyboard. You should see the tiny meter at the very top of the track, below the input and output tabs, moving to show that you have MIDI input. Ideally you will also hear sound and see movement on the main track meters next to the fader.

One other thing to check - under the Options menu, make sure that MIDI Thru has a check mark next to it.