View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: sub-$1000.00 Monitors - suggestions please

Hi Steve,

One studio i work in has Tannoy System 1000's (hate them),
and my other studio is a 5.1 room with Tannoy Reveal 6Ds.
Without sounding like a sales person for ADAM, here's my thoughts.

Adam A7's leave the tannoy's for dead in every way possible.

I purchased the A7's for doing a bit of work from home on my LE system, and when I purchased them I sat in a listening room switching between Tannoy Reveal 6D, Dynaudio BM5A, Mackie (can't remember Model), KRK, Yamaha & Adam A7s.

I went in with the intention of buying the Reveals, but it was suggested to take a listen to the A7s. It only took about 30 seconds to see the A7's were clear winners.

Obviously it's all opinion, and personal preference, so you need to compare for yourself,
but I took in a variety of music: Rock, jazz, dance, musical theatre, and every time I preferred the A7's.

I do love the Tannoy Reveal 6Ds, cause I work on them every day, but the A7's in comparison, make the Tannoys sound like cheap crap.

When listening at loud levels, the A7s are not harsh in any way.
The bass repsonse was far superior, and so was the stereo imaging.
As you already have Tannoy Reveals you'd know they're a pretty deep cabinet. The a7's are a smaller box so it also helps if space is an issue for you.

I generally don't work at a very loud level (cause I don't wanna be deaf when I'm 40)
When you crank them up (as you do in a store to see how far they go) evey time the tannoy's started to distort, the A7s had plenty more to give.

Find a store that has both, and compare for yourself, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you hear them side by side.

Good Luck, Matt.
P.S. Havn't heard the Blue Sky System One so can't comment on those.